Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What's a trillion?

It's 4:20 in the morning and I can't sleep, which is strange because I haven't had any caffeine in a while.  Anyway, yesterday while reading Townhall.com I found the following little paragraph in an article called "Nobody Knows the Troubles We'll See," by Kathleen Parker.  It is interesting, and puts a graphic face on just how much a trillion dollars is.

Chris Martenson's online "Crash Course" in economics explains a trillion this way.  First, picture a million dollars as a four-inch stack of thousand-dollar bills.  A comparable billion-dollar stack is 358 feet tall.  A trillion-dollar stack of thousand-dollar bills stands 67.9 miles high.

Sorta makes you think about the debt the federal government is  piling on our heads, doesn't it?
Now I am going back to bed. 

1 comment:

The Groves Family Blog said...

Hope you were able to sleep after getting all that off your mind. I don't even like to think about how far in debt our country is. I'm stressed enough trying to get myself out!