Thursday, April 24, 2014

I've begun planting some things

I know it's still not to the date of the last frost, which my Grandmother used to say was May 10, but I'm getting started anyway.  Everything will probably freeze and die.  If it does, I will start over.

Today I planted two of my grow boxes.  I got my new nutrient patches in the mail yesterday, so I was itching to get started.

The box above is planted with beets.

 The second box has Romaine lettuce in it.
I have a third box but haven't decided what to plant in it yet.

 I planted cucumbers in the right side squares if this raised bed, next to the trellis netting.  I plan on growing the vines vertically up the netting.

The photo above shows my very first rain gutter grow system.  There's nothing in the buckets yet, but they will have tomatoes and peppers for sure, and maybe some kale if I don't put it in the grow box.  If I do, then I will probably place cabbage in a couple of the buckets.

Here's a photo of the float valve in the rain gutter.  I will hook the water up to the house water with a short garden hose and the buckets will have constant sub-irrigation.  I have a second float valve, and maybe will set up a second line of buckets.  The cost isn't too bad, but the potting mix is a little pricey.  It's like $14 to fill three buckets.  I guess that's not too bad.  Especially if I get lots of veggies.  My other idea is to use the "grow bags in the kiddie pool" method.  I kinda want to try it too.  Then I will use the second valve to set up the watering system in the little pool.


No comments: