Sunday, May 18, 2014

My tomatoes this year

This one is called Better Bush.  It's a determinate tomato, meaning it doesn't vine out too much and stays in a bush like form.  I've never grown this tomato before so I'm interested in how it does.

This is my Champion.  I only have one.  I haven't grown it before either.  It's indeterminate, meaning it will grow big with vines.  Thus the cage.

Parks Whopper.  Another new one for me.  The fruit is supposed to be pretty big.  Indeterminate.

This one is Super Fantastic.  I hope it's super fantastic.  It's another variety I haven't tried before.  Also indeterminate.

Mountain Pride.  Another new one for me.  Seems like the seedlings available this year are a lot different from last year.  There are the regulars like Early Girl and Better Boy, but I didn't get any of them.  This one is determinate I think but not sure because it doesn't say.

This is my Solar Fire.  It's supposed to tolerate heat well, which is good here in the desert.

This is Yellow Pear.  I guess the fruit is yellow and looks like a pear.  Its one of the grape tomato varieties.  New for me.  This one is in a "global bucket."  It's a type of SIP (sub-irrigated planter).

Ah, last but not least (so far).  This is Lemon Boy.  I grew it last year in one of my grow boxes and liked it quite a bit.  It produced fairly well and has a good taste, plus it's kinda a novelty because of the yellow color.  This one's in a global bucket too.  All the rest are in my rain gutter garden.

There you have it.  Eight tomato plants and eight different varieties.  Somehow eight doesn't seem like enough, but may have to do.  I wanted to grow Juliet again this year, because it did well for me last year, but I haven't been able to find any seedlings.  Juliet is a grape tomato and it was one of my best producers last year.  It's great in salads and for snacking.  I'll keep my eyes open and if I see one I'll grab it.  I'll make another global bucket to put it in, I think.

No comments: