Sunday, August 31, 2008



Cathy and I went up on the Mesa this afternoon, just for a ride.  Here are a couple of pictures of the area around the Visitor's Center.  We had quite an adventure on the way back.  Coming down the mountain we saw a big moose in the trees just off the road.  That was cool.  Also, coming home we hit some rain.  I was passing a semi just before the bridge over the river east of Palisade on I-70, and the truck hit a big puddle just as I was going by, totally submerging my windshield in water.  The wipers couldn't keep up and for a few seconds I was blind with a semi on one side and a concrete barrier on the other, while going around a curve at 60 mph.  Luckily the wipers finally got the water off so I could see.

Then, just before Horizon Drive, the rain hit so hard that visibility went to zero for everybody.  I had just passed a semi, again, and the only way I could see the road was to follow the taillights of the semi in front and keep my eye on the semi behind.  Some people pulled over, but I was not that bright.  By Horizon Drive the rain had slowed enough to see.  Just after the interchange we saw an accident where an SUV and a truck had gone off the road in the center median.  Quite a drive home.

No comments: