Sunday, August 2, 2009

A little boy's dream came true


Like most little boys, when I was little I thought it would be way cool to ride in the locomotive of a train. Also like most little boys, I never got to. Until last thursday. On that day, I attended training on railroad safety, and after lunch we took a ride on a pair of diesel locomotives hitched back to back. We rode to Palisade and back, and on the way there, I was in the trail locomotive, so I was watching where we had been. I sat in the conductor's seat, which is on the left side of the cab. It has a speedometer, and showed that we hit 68 mph on the ride to Palisade. On the way back, the conductor took my seat, so I stood behind the engineer. They had been in the lead loco on the trip out. The were in the lead loco again on the way back, which was the trail one out.

I stood behind the engineer on the ride back, and we hit 70 mph. It was a hoot. We rode a BNSF locomotive, and it was way better than working, I've got to say. The picture is of the type of locomotive we rode in, but the colors were different.

1 comment:

The Shawcrofts said...

That sounds like fun Grant! I'm glad you got to do it!