Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I have my bike all ready to go

I was going to ride to work tomorrow but it's supposed to snow tonight again, so I guess Mother Nature doesn't want me to.  My riding partner called and we decided to wait at least another day.  I was prepping the bike, and, surprise, my tires were low after the long winter and I needed to adjust my rear brakes too, which I did.  Pumping up the tires was more of a pain than it should have been because I couldn't find my CO2 pump.  I bought some cartridges for it the other day and then couldn't find the pump, so I had to go buy a car-lighter-socket pump so I could add some atmosphere to the tires.  Since I own a long wheelbase recumbent with twin rear view mirrors, (which looks really cool by the way) it's a little hard to flip over and work on because the mirrors get squished.  I found a unique way to work on it, though.  It fits just right on the arms of the treadmill, and sits there suspended at about chest high, with everything accessible and easy to work on.   Can I improvise or what! 

When we lived in the Ridges I had a hook placed in a crossbeam and suspended the bike by the front tire from the hook.  I want to set up something like that again here.  The bike takes up less space and is out of the way.  Our house is bigger, but the garage is smaller here and space is more at a premium.  I just have to figure out where the support beams are, since they aren't exposed.  I'm getting excited about riding again though.  It's a lot farther to work but I used to ride 12 miles or so in the morning and 18 to 20 in the afternoon when we lived 3 miles from my work, so an 11 or 12 mile ride to work will be the same.  The main worry for me is a breakdown.  It would be a long walk if I broke down halfway.  Hopefully that won't happen.

The plants are sprouting in the Aero Garden.  I feel like a new father!

2 comments:

The Shawcrofts said...

Haha! Are you going to name your plants? Will they get a slice of inheritance?

Jennifer Groves said...

I know what you mean about working out. Mother Nature is exhibiting her fury with winter this year...I thought we were supposed to be in the middle of global warming...Dang that Al Gore. I thought he won the nobel peace prize.