Saturday, May 3, 2008

It's been quite a day.

This Saturday was full of "projects" or "honey do's" as they are called.  Cathy and I went to Ace Hardware and got another new sprinkler head to replace the one we discovered last night was broken.  I was watching TV at about 10 p.m. and heard water coming off the roof of the house in the back.  I looked out the door, and it looked like it was raining hard.  I checked the front but no rain.  My steel-trap mind realized that I had a problem.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the water would be coming from on the roof.  I went into the bedroom to get a flashlight, and told Cathy about the mystery.  We went outside, dodging the water, and learned that the pump was on and a sprinkler head had blown out, and water was geysering up about 30 feet into the air and was falling onto the roof.  I turned the water off, and this morning we got a new sprinkler head and a pair of channel locks, because all I have for tightening the sprinkler heads is an old pair of vice grips.

After that we went to Sam's Club and got a wood playhouse to put together for the grandkids to play in when they visit.  It came in a big box and was really heavy.  After I dropped Cathy off at her friend Dorothy's house so she could help paint, I went to Wal Mart and got some tomato and pepper plants for the garden.  Then I went home.  

Pat was still home and he helped me unload the big heavy box.  He told me that it was a dumb purchase, but he doesn't have grandkids so what does he know.  Well, after we got the big heavy box into the side area on the west side of the house, just before putting it down, I tweaked my back.  I got a sharp, shooting pain across my lower back and knew immediately that I was in for some pain.  It has hurt all day.  That didn't stop me from fixing the sprinkler, planting the tomatoes and peppers, watering the trees, mowing the lawn, and pulling some weeds.  Now I am relaxing and my back is hurting.  I wonder how I will sleep tonight.  I probably won't be riding the bicycle for a few days.  Pat will have to ride his motorcycle so I can drive the truck.

If I feel better tomorrow I will start building the playhouse.  After church.

No comments: