Saturday, June 28, 2008

Maybe I won't get more flat tires for a while

Last week I rode to work about three times.  From the Friday before to last Wednesday, I got three flat tires.  I have had about 5 flats in the last month.  So, to do something about it, I spent about $100 on the back wheel of my bicycle this past week.  I spent $70 on a new wheel and $30 on a new tire.  I got a wider tire with a thicker tread, and one that has a puncture resistant belt inside the rubber.  Then I put my kevlar liners in it.  After that I added a slimed thorn resistant tube.  If I keep getting flat tires, maybe I should just give up.  I might have to get one of those solid tires.

My truck gets at least 20 miles per gallon, as does Cathy's Jeep.  Both are probably closer to 25 mpg, but for my purposes I just figured 20.  When I ride my bike to work, it's a 30 mile round trip.  That would be about a gallon and a half of gas per day, for the commute.  At $4.00 per gallon, I am saving myself about $6 per day each day I ride the bicycle.  That's a good incentive for me to ride.  The other incentive is fitness.  I have a long way to go to reach the level of fitness I want, and riding the bicycle really helps.  It's about an hour and four or five minutes one way, although one morning I got to work in 57 minutes, and on another day I got home in 55 minutes.  I ride fairly hard when I am on the bicycle, trying to give the legs a good workout and improve my cardiovascular endurance.  It's slowly working.  Now, if I can just keep from getting flat tires for a while...

No comments: