Thursday, January 17, 2008

The American Idol tryouts were hilarious

I haven't watched them much in the past, but since Cathy likes them, and I occasionally need to watch something with her to keep the marriage alive, we watched them last night. I am totally blown away by the people who actually think they can sing, but sound like the bumper of a 1956 Ford pickup scraping against the side of a 1998 Cadillac because the driver turned too sharp backing out of the parking space. Or they sing like they are mad and equate volume with talent. And the costumes are downright embarrassing. Simon is always funny, and the other judges are ok, and normally they are able to hear the talent even if the auditioners are really nervous, so the good ones get to go to Hollywood. What really struck me though is that some contestants seem to be mentally unbalanced, and sometimes downright scary, like the Princess Leaia (sp?) contestant or the guy who sang a song about stalking What's Her Name, the female judge. Oh yeah, it's Paula Abdul. I guess that's why they have security in the room.

I also watched Hannity and Colmes, late at night, and saw a segment that showed a focus group of democrats and their responses to the democratic debate. Can you say "ignorant dumb masses" three times fast? What was painfully obvious there was the superficiality and shallowness of the democrat "undecided" voters that made up the group. All they could do was spout the conventional anti-Bush talking points of the democrat party. What a bunch of sheeple. Nobody appeared to have done one tenth of the research that they would have done if they were buying a new TV.

3 comments:

The Shawcrofts said...

Great Blog Dad. Not as cool as mine but not too bad either. :).

The Shawcrofts said...

Grant,

Don't listen to Joe...we love your blog! Yours is way better than ours because you update yours regularly. It was good to see you last weekend...hopefully you get the Liberty back in one piece!

love Ash

Unknown said...

Well, I may have to get with the times. I started a blog many moons ago but decided I would rather play Myst. Your blog is good. Who came up with "blog" anyway? Couldnt they just have said "lets open a web page and discuss sometimes meaningless stuff?" I never have anything to say anyway. I dont like to type because keyboards hate me. I type a few letters and then have to backspace to correct all my mistakes. Its never my fault. Its the keyboard. Why cant someone invent thought type transfer. You know, you put this thing on your head or somthing and the thougts transfer to what you want to type. Much more efficient and easier than this typing stuff that I hate. One of our contractors at work today was lookng for a type writer. Can you believe that? One of our young admin assistants actually asked what a type writer was. I just walked away and went back to my office. I left that complicated answer to someone more qualified. Did you see that movie "Youve Got Mail"? That guy in the movie, I think Frank is his name, collected type writers. You know what? I think I still have one. A brother electric. I bought it in the early 80's to act as a printer for my Apple II C. It had this interface that actully worked and my type writer became a PC printer. Do you remember those old PCs? The first one I ever owned was a TI994A. This little thing had 16k of memory. There wer no monitors back than so I bought a little 13" color tv to use as a monitor. There were no disc drives and I had to use a cassette tape as storage. I paid $1,200.00 for this thing. Sold it 2 years later to a meat buyer at City Market for $50.00. That when I bought the Apple. It had 64k and its own green screen monitor and a 5 1/4 floopy. Yup, paid $1,200.00 for that one too. Time for bed. Its a good thing I hate to type.
Bryon